When we originally asked for stories about Tim, we had no idea what we were going to receive. Then they came in multitude, in all forms imaginable from photographs to poems, from songs to anecdotes. They have been funny, heartwarming and educational. We have found so much joy in this form of celebration that we invite you to continue this sharing here.

Posted by shaina on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:18 am

on timmy's birthday in 2005, we were in Martha's Vineyard. His present was to go flying in a loop-d-loop open-airplane over the island. We drove in a jeep wrangler over to the airfield, listening to a local public radio station. As we drove down the dirt road of the airstrip, the tiny plane in view, the song "Galileo" by the Indigo Girls was on. The lyrics were:

"And then I think about my fear of motion
Which I never could explain
Some other fool across the ocean years ago
MUST HAVE CRASHED HIS LITTLE AIRPLANE."

We both looked at eachother, a little freaked. Was it a sign? It had to be a sign. We shouldn't get in the plane. Maybe we're not supposed to get in a plane!

We didn't know what to do. Uneasy, we got fitted for our snoopy-esque WW2 fighter helmets and, stomachs in our throats, climbed aboard our potential doom.

Clenching hands above the island, we ended up laughing as we looped over Dan Akroid's abode.

It was awesome.

A repeated line in the song Galileo is: How long till my soul gets it right?

I felt like mine had it right that day. And I know it had everything to do with sharing the moment with Timmy.

Love,
Shaina